Math Gr. 7
Ministry of Education
Math has four broad themes, each of which has many specific skills. You can view them at the Ministry of Education's website. The categories are:
- Number - divisibility rules, relating positive fractions, decimals and percents, operations with integers
- Patterns and Relations - linear relations (algebraic expressions and equations), graphing
- Space and Shape - use of Pi, circles, polygons, 2D relationships - bisectors, perpendicular etc.
- Statistics and Probability - measures of central tendency (average), outliers, circle graphs, determining likelihood
- multiple choice quizzing For students who want to test their understanding,, these short M/C quizzes are available. They're taken from material in our primary resource, Math Focus 7. Click the unit theme, listed below as the current focus, and select topic to begin.
All students have received a license for the Mathletics website. The site can operate as an important and helpful supplement to classroom activities. Students needing to shore up current or prior learnings are strongly encouraged to use it.
Gr7 Linear Relationships (Algebraic Reasoning)
Linear Relationships (Algebraic Reasoning)
The focus for the next several weeks is likely the most foundational material as students look to high school math. Linear relationships might be called algebra, though that limits its scope. High school math uses symbols, formulas and relationships constantly. Here we're focusing on understanding patterns and using algebraic terms to solve problems. Students will extend their prior knowledge of basic arithmetic, order of operations and pattern recognition to gain a grasp of this important part of the greater math program. This material is a times very straight forward and at other times requires persistence before the light bulb turns on. It is truly important to grasp this material.
Key terms: variable, numerical coefficient, constant, patterns, evaluate
Graphing a Linear Equation
The Nature of an Equation