Ministry of Education
Saskatoon Public Schools places significant emphasis on literacy skills. Literacy is one of two core initiatives. LA consists of multiple strands. Each day one or more of them is addressed. Ongoing efforts to improve literacy skills this year will include:
- formal reading assessments
- specific instruction for reading strategies
- scheduled reading periods
- stories and novels read by me with response activities
- instruction and practice of various writing techniques such as the newspaper format, short essay and poetry
Reading Requirements and Lists
Our classroom has a minimum reading requirement. All students must read and record at least 20 books, 20% of which must be non-fiction. The log is kept in the class. A sample version can be seen here. In class reading time is offered at least once, usually twice a week. Until the weather prevents it, we will make regular visits to Alice Turner Library. Home reading is necessary and expected.
This downloadable lists is one good starting point for choosing books across genres. Not sure what to read? There will be something here to love.
NPR asked it's listeners to choose their favourite sci-fi and fantasy book. 60000 responses later, the narrowed it down to the top 100. A clever selection tool was made to help users make a choice. Please note, while many of the selections are appropriate for young adult reading and some are even used in schools, a few are not meant for younger eyes. Please proceed with caution.
Current Focus - Expository Essay Writing, Readers' Theatre, Listening Skills
During the next few weeks, we will jump around three of the LA strands.
- We will review the process of expository writing. Overall format requirements, outline creation and the use of transitions are fundamentals for review. Students will then have a chance to complete a short essay for evaluation.
- Reader's theatre is a chance for us to work on the quality of vocal delivery in an engaging group environment. We spend a lot of time in class ensuring we "say what we mean." Here we focus more so on saying it the right way.
- We continue to work through Skybreaker using it to work at listening skills. A major vocab test occurs during May.
Master List - Skybreaker Ch 1-15